Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Finding My Style

   I apologize if this isn't the most organized post, as I am just taking down my thoughts, as they come. Finding your style involves a realm of aspects that have to be considered, and as I address each one, they are not approached in any given order. This has been quite a challenge.
   The hardest part about becoming a professional photographer, for me anyway, has been trying to settle on my "style". Style, when describing a photographer, can refer to a vast array of characteristics. The way a photographer shoots, the way they might edit, how they brand themselves and interact with clients.
   For me, finding my style has placed me at the transition intersection of who I am, and who I want to be. I have spent some time researching the things I enjoy about my craft, the kinds of end-products I want to deliver, and the types of clients I want to service.
   One step in developing a brand is to choose a few power words. Words that describe your mission, your objective, your clients, any aspect of the business that's important to you. One of the most important things I want to do with my photography is to teach people to embrace themselves. I want them to know that they are beautiful, and I want that to translate across all hair and eye colors, income levels, body types, all walks of life. You don't have to work in Hollywood to feel like you do. Even if just for a day. I also want clients who want to share that feeling with their friends, to empower people around them to feel good about themselves, too. So, I have talked about what I want to do, and what I want from my clients. The next area is the photographs themselves. I want my images to evoke emotions in viewers. I know that each genre of photography won't have the same reactions from all sorts of people, but I hope to someday be able to draw emotions from, at the very least, the majority of my viewing audience. In regards to my relationship with clients, and in turn, their relationship with my work, my power words would be embrace, empower, and evoke.
   Now, to consider the way I want to shoot. This has been a long process, because before I can decide whether I even want to shoot something or not, I really have to actually shoot it. And then I have to practice the different ways to portray a subject. Then I have to decide what I want my work to say, to look like. 
   For example, I do not like photographing babies. I love babies, don't get me wrong. I just don't have the skill or the studio setup to do a great job. I have seen some photographers who have done some pretty impressive images with babies. I am just not one of them. And, I wouldn't know that if I hadn't tried, failed, and embarrassed myself miserably.
   I love weddings, and I am discovering my role as a wedding photographer. I prefer to shoot lifestyle portraits during a wedding, as opposed to the family portraits where everybody stands around and waits to get posed. I like the real, true to life moments that just kinda happen. I can see more personality shining through from clients when I shoot like this.
   I really enjoy doing contemporary glamour shots, and try to carry a little bit of this style over into corporate headshots, as well as engagement sessions, at least with the ladies.
   Another aspect I have found to be of interest is that I like to shoot outdoors. Now, I haven't had much experience with a studio setting, so it is hard to make a comparison, but I love the laid back feeling of a shoot that involves a bit of walking. I have a chance to get to know my client better, and form a deeper connection. This connection then visually translates through the images we create.
   So, in describing my work, I guess I want it to be contemporary, to show connection, and to feel like lifestyle portraiture, or have a photojournalistic approach. And I know you can feel the hesitation there, but, while I am very sure of the relationship I want to have with my clients, I have not yet settled entirely into a style of shooting. Presumably, this will most likely change a bit at a time over several years, if not throughout my entire career, as I learn and develop new techniques.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment